Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Lace and Fabric Journal WIP (work in progress)

THE CLOTH SIDE OF ME.... Like the wonderful artist Sharon Tomlinson, I too have a cloth side. Just haven't indulged her for a few years. But she's back now!

 Last week I finally started on the fabric lace book I've been visualizing. After pricing inkjet ready fabrics, (the run around $10 for 3 or 4 sheets!) What! When it's so easy to make your own! I cut a piece of freezer paper 8.5x11 and ironed it onto muslin fabric (that's all I could find at the moment). Found my pictures by one of my favorite painters, Alphonse Mucha, and tadaaa! I am really happy about the way these turned out. Since printing these I purchased some lovely, finely woven, pure white cotton. It's so easy to age fabric with tea or coffee, and I think the white fabrics will print the clearest. So, here is what it looks like off the printer. (I printed four to a page, since my book is approximately 6x8.
 .So here is my first one. I used some vintage Upholstry Fabrics Upholstry fabrics for the foundation. Each page will be sewn onto another piece which will be part of the book's signatures.  I loved this doily... it was the inspiration for this page. I did needle turn applique to insert her picture. Everything in this book will be vintage or antique. The ribbon at the bottom is very old seam binding, accented with some seed beads.
Don't you LOVE LOVE LOVE the laces on this page? The largest piece comes from a Victorian lace collar.  I also pulled out some of the gimp trim I picked up years ago at the estate sale of a seamstress. Everything she had was cataloged and marked, and dated! from the 1920's!!
 I love the swirly kind of Art Nouveau foundation that brings out the lovely warm amber tones in Mucha's work.

 And here is the last page I've completed so far. ACTUALLY!! none of these are complete! What was I thinking! I still have tons of hand work to do. I plan on using crazy quilt stitching and silk ribbon embroidery. I just bought 50 yards of silk ribbon, and have dyed a dozen different colors.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my WIP! Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
Sweet Blessings and Big Love to you