Hello friends.... I'm teaching another mini journal class tomorrow: 'Le Petit Journal'. I've been asked for a written tutorial, because it's hard to remember after class. While I'm still working out the written part, here is the visual diagram of the long stitch binding (so much easier for me to understand)...-->
Basic Instructions for Leather Book
1. Decide the size book you want
2. Cut or tear papers to size
3. Fold paper in half and create signatures to desired thickness
Stain edges of papers if desired
4. Cut out the leather to size, measuring around stacked signatures, leave overlap if wanted
5. Cut endpaper to size, place on inside of leather cover (you will trim the ends later)
6. Make a template from the signatures, marking three holes
7. Lay your first signature on left side of leather and end paper
Pencil mark the end paper and signature where the holes will be punched
8. Punch first set of holes in leather using template as your guide
Punch holes in the first signature also using template as your guide
9. Cut sinew 2 ½ x the height of book
10. Place first signature near left inside the book, not all the way, leave room for folding.
11. Open signature and…
Sew in thru the middle hole of signature, end paper and leather, out to the back
Then in thru the top (outside) hole, thru the signature, then out through the bottom hole
Come back in from outside at the middle hole, keep needle on opposite side of long stitch
Pull both ends tightly, tie off, and press into hole, clip ends.
12. Make crease front end paper towards signature. Press the fold sharp, then press leather.
13. Place second signature close to the first, mark holes on endpaper and signature
Punch holes in endpaper and leather, punch holes in signature
Proceed to sewing as you did in the first signature
14. Continue with each signature. On last signature, crease the endpaper towards the left, then press leather.
15. Finish with closure of your choice.